Pages

Tuesday 3 April 2012

first world problems


 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. (Colossians 3:15)
i need a little peace in my heart. i just got off the phone with my mobile carrier and i am cranked right up. sometimes it seems to me that the marketing scheme of these companies is to confuse you and make you feel powerless. after 3 bouts of poor service on the phone, which includes getting hung up on, i was put needlessly on hold until i gave up. i will take my business else where.

how on earth does this apply to the above verse? i need to let christ's peace rule in my heart, treating others with love and compassion, regardless of the treatment that i receive. i don't think this means i should be walked on, but i also need to stay calm and carry on when there is a frustration in my path. instead of calling back (yet again) to give the manager (if he does exist) a piece of my mind, i will simply not allow this company access to any more of my money. i said what i intended to say, and if they choose not to listen to their customers, that's not my concern. my concern lies with how i react in situations and if i am showing others the love that christ has shown me.

admittedly, i may have raised my voice with the lady on the phone (hey, she started it) but this isn't what i am called to do. as i write this and contemplate what it means to let the peace of christ be with me, i can feel my blood pressure drop.

that last part of the verse gets me. and always be thankful. always. even with poor customer service. i need to take a lesson from this meme. i laughed when i saw it, but it's true, the things we see as problems are often things that others would celebrate. i want to celebrate and be thankful rather than be upset about these things. i am thankful that i live in canada, with access to non-essentials like a cell phone. i am thankful that i live in a beautiful home, and that we were able to afford to purchase a new one. i am thankful that i have a great job that gives me time to be at home with my family and guarantees that i will have work when i need it. i am thankful.

<source>

No comments:

Post a Comment