Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

fill'er up


Those who love money will never have enough. (Ecc.5:10)
pinterest is a pastime of mine. i love to scroll through the endless aisles of pretty things, adding to my list of wants. hoarding virtual versions of things that i can't afford. since i have been on pinterest, i have felt my wants grow. my feelings of greed being fed. and i'm not the only one, market research shows that pinterest generates $0.18 a click, the highest on any social media platform.

now that's not to say that i think that pinterest is bad, but when i read this verse it struck me that perhaps i'm not interacting with it in a healthy manner. feeding my wants in such a self-indulgent way. using it to hoard the growing list of shiny things that i wish to have. i need to use it as place of inspiration, rather than somewhere to stockpile my wants.

in today's society, it's so easy to get wrapped up in the trappings of life. to get sidelined by things and to fill up life with stuff rather than relationships. when i read this verse, my first reaction is that i don't love money. but i do love what money brings and i have feelings of insatiability. god is calling me to work on this. to let go of my materialism and live in the peace and contentment of my relationship with him and those around me.

do i still have my pinterest account? yes. but i am beginning to be more mindful of what i am doing, rather than blindly feeding my greed.

what things are you filling your life up with?
<source>

2 comments:

  1. I recently read a saying that relates to your post today. "Comparison is the thief of joy". This can apply to so many things but certainly to the "I want it too" list. Really enjoy your posts, you get me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funnily enough, that was the other option for the quote on this post! i agree that it suits this topic -- part of the wanting more is comparing what we have to others and that's the surest way to stop feeling content.
      thanks for your feedback and thanks for reading!

      Delete